Monday, January 25, 2010

Blue Devil

My entry for the latest challenge over at ArtOrder; a re-envisioning of the Assassin Devil, one of the denizens of the Abyss.  Looked fun, it's supposed to look like an actual vignette from the Monster Manual.  Overall I'm pleased with how it turned out, but painting this image served to spotlight something in my work that has always...troubled me.

One of my major artistic challenges is getting rid of these outlines I tend to surround my figures with; it's like I'm afraid to paint over them and fill all the shapes and just let the color and and light define the composition.    Mind you, there are great artists where the drawing is featured prominently in their images, and they do gorgeous work...Carlo Arellano comes to mind.  And maybe I should just embrace that way of painting.  But something inside screams Alla Prima!  which I know for a fact is possible with digital medium.  I need to summon up the courage to paint outside the lines again, like we all used to before we were taught not to.


No comments:

Post a Comment